At Yohaku, we believe in the power of sharing and learning from each other. This is why we’ve decided to offer a series of art-based seminars to our peers and the whole community of people who love to engage with the arts.
These seminars focus on inspiring stories and interdisciplinary art-based tools brought to the table by our fantastic speakers. They will share with us engaging stories, details of their own creative processes, therapeutic interventions, and ways of using various art forms in the context of art therapy, facilitation, and creative development.
In 2021, we have planned seven seminars:
::: 20 February The Process of Radical Transformation with Jo Verdis (information below)
::: 8 September Rethink space: Ma as inspiration in therapy and coaching with dr Marloes van Houten & dr Joanna Wróblewska
::: 25 September The Gift of Grief with Sadhana Thapa & Bipin Thapa from Nepal
::: 10 November The Wisdom of Shiatsu with Aleksandra Hoffmann
SEMINAR #1 with JO VERDIS
Music was once Jo Verdis’ passion. When a professor criticized her, saying she’d never play well enough to be a pianist, she lost her sense of worth. She lost her identity. And she lost her relationship with music—her primary outlet for expressing herself and soothing her emotions.
With a broken creative spirit, Jo’s life spiralled out of control. She endured a car accident, a traumatic brain injury, and several mental health diagnoses. Disabled and living with terrifying daily episodes of psychosis, Jo learned one day what no doctor had thought to tell her: Creativity could help her heal. Creativity could even heal her creative spirit. She discovered she needed to reset her intentions and make art not for the purpose of making something good, but because the act of making things helped her feel okay in the moment. Jo will speak about these experiences and share how her practice of process-oriented creativity radically transformed every aspect of her life. She will also share with us some tips and tricks on how to work with alcohol inks.
Jo Verdis is a composer and multidisciplinary artist who channels her emotions and life experiences into songs, paintings, drawings, sculptures, writing, fabric arts, and whatever else she can get her hands on. Jo’s experiences of mental illness showed her how her own creative spirit could be a lifeline—a refuge that she could access at any moment. Now she is sharing her process to assist others through the uncertain, anxious, and often lonely times many of us are presently experiencing. She also teaches artists and beginners to paint with alcohol inks—an unpredictable, whimsical medium that helped her learn life-changing skills such as mindfulness and radical acceptance. During the seminar, Jo will show us how to work with alcohol inks too!
Jo’s first book, On Earth I Am Safe, is set to be a resource for readers who want to develop their own healing creativity practices.
- Get inspired by listening to our international speakers
- Take an active part in playful activities and vibrant discussions to learn new tools and become more skilled in art-based work
- Learn about how others use the arts both for personal development and in the professional context
- Apply similar techniques in your own creative work
- Enrich your therapeutic practice with new and inspiring art modalities
- Connect with art-based practitioners from all over the world
- Give yourself a chance to grow and use the arts as a resource in daily life
- Get a glimpse into how one can work with alcohol inks
- Anyone who would like to experience the power of the arts in the context of healing, growth, and mental self-care
- Individuals interested in using arts for self-expression and personal growth
- Actively working creative therapists, Expressive Arts practitioners, art-based facilitators, and art therapy students
- Psychotherapists, coaches, and other mental health professionals, who would like to learn more about the use of the arts in both personal development and their work with clients
- Professionals who would like to learn more about how the arts can support their patients and clients (e.g. medical doctors, naturopaths, health consultants etc.)
Date: 20 February 2021, 5pm CET
Theme: The Process of Radical Transformation
Speaker: Jo Verdis
Duration: between 90 – 120 min. depending on the participant’s engagement (the last 30min. will be devoted to a discussion, feedback, and an exchange of ideas)
Software: online [Zoom]
Materials: pen, paper, felt markers or crayons, alcohol inks and suitable paper (optional, only if you would like to experiment while Jo gives us a tutorial)
*The seminar will be recorded. Even if you can’t participate in person, you can still register and get a link to watch the seminar at your own time.