SEMINAR #3 with Anje Claeys
SCROLL DOWN TO REGISTER!
Our intention is to bring together Expressive Arts practitioners, psychotherapists, coaches, and facilitators to learn together about the therapeutic power of scribing.
In this seminar, Anje Claeys will speak about her personal journey: from medicine to art and back to medicine. She will show a variety of examples of scribing. By presenting a few cases she will reveal her method. She will present results in different settings: grief therapy, business coaching, crowdfunding. Both with children, youngsters, and adults. Next to all of that, she will offer theoretical frameworks to explain why scribing
proves to be such an effective method.
Anje Claeys is an artist and a scientist. She obtained her PhD in Medical Sciences and she now works as an artist and coach in a private practice specializing in grief and loss. Apart from that, she is connected to the children psychiatry ward of the university hospital in Leuven, Belgium.
Anje has been interested in life and death ever since she was a student. As a kid, she used to read and draw all the time. After her university training (BSc Medicine, MSc Biochemistry, MSc Virology) she started an art education and specialized in printmaking. Ever since she has been combining work and art. First rather separately (coaching as a job, art as a hobby) and now they merged in her work as a scribe.
Generative scribing, as mentioned by Kelvy Bird, ‘is a visual practice unique in our age, a distinct art form, functioning at the moment, across cultural boundaries, and as a device for social seeing’. The scribe draws while people talk. Scribing helps people see. Anje now works as an ‘unraveler’. She is intrigued by complexity. Her expertise lies in unraveling difficult questions, regardless of their topic. The questions can be about personal issues, business stuff, or even financial complexity.
In her toolbox, you can find an analytical mind and an artistic spirit, colored markers, watercolour paint, pencils, and sheets of blank paper.
She loves to tackle a white page and fill it with words and images in an attempt to unravel complex issues and to harvest an essence
- Learn scribing and actively apply it in your work
- Give yourself a chance to grow and use the arts as a resource both in your practice and in daily life
- Get inspired to use your own creative skills in the process of “unravelling”
- Learn how scribing can become a tool that creates tangible results allowing the therapeutic dialogue to continue even after the session with your client
- Create more awareness around aesthetic responsibility and aesthetic responses in therapeutic interventions
- Anyone who is curious about scribing in therapeutic settings
- Expressive Arts practitioners who would like to add one more inspiring tool to their already existing art-based toolbox
- Health practitioners, therapists, social workers, coaches, psychologists, doctors, psychiatrists wanting to include art and visualization techniques in their approach to support people
Date: 24 April 2021, 10am CET
Theme: Scribing. The power of visualization in coaching and therapy.
Speakers: Anje Claeys
Duration: between 90 – 120 min. depending on the participant’s engagement (the last 30min. will be devoted to a discussion, feedback, and an exchange of ideas)
Software: online [Zoom]
Materials: Participants will have the opportunity to practice scribing. To do so, you need paper (A4) and simple color markers, and pencils. Those who have watercolour paint can also use it.
*The seminar will be recorded. Even if you can’t participate in person, you can still register and get a link to watch the seminar at your own time.
See you all very soon!